We value sport at our schools. We strongly believe that sports attendence, as well as competition, helps to develop children's confidence as well as having a positive impact on pupils' academic achievement. As confidence grows over time, the benefits in terms of self-motivation and determination in all aspects including academic achievement will no doubt be clearly seen.
School Sports Grant
The schools received £8000 each plus £5 per pupil (approx £400 in total) for 2016-2017. The impact on pupils is monitored by our School Sports Co-ordinator.
In 2016 - 2017
- 97% of Key Stage 2 children attended at least 1 sporting club during the year.
- 100% of Year 6 and Year 4 children attended at least 1 sporting club during the year.
- 79% of Key Stage 2 children attended 2 or more sporting clubs, with some children attending up to 7 sporting clubs throughout the year.
- Some clubs were so popular that a second club ran to accommodate all the children who wanted to participate.
- This year we continued to achieve more medals at The Levels Academy Trust Athletics day at Yeovil for overall achievement.
- In the Year 3 boys javelin event we achieved 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.
- 5 children represented Langport in the Area Cross Country competition and one child came 2nd in his race.
During the 2016-2017 year the Sports Funding went towards:
School Staff CPD
Subsidised after school sports clubs
Targeted lunchtime clubs
Intra School activities
Youth Sports Trust membership and associated training courses
The Levels Academy Trust sports Day at Yeovil Athletics Arena
CLP competitions - transport and medals
In 2015-2016 100% of Key Stage 2 children attended at least 1 sporting club throughout the school year. Across Key Stage 2 at least 83% of children attended 2 or more sporting clubs throughout the year and in Years 4 and 5 100% of children attended 2 or more sporting clubs. Some children have attended up to 10 sporting clubs throughout the year. In addition, we achieved more medals at the The Levels Academy Trust Athletics day for overall achievement than in previous years, especially amongst our younger pupils. We also achieved our first medal in the relay at TLAT Athletics day.
Sainsbury’s School Games
We achieved Silver Kitemark in 2015-2016, following achievieng Bronze Kitemark in 2013 -2014 and 2014 - 2015. Area Sports Games Officer Steve Gass commented that it is a 'Great achievement for such small schools'.